Nana’s house

Well, we survived the estate sale at my Nana’s house last weekend.  This September will be 3 years since she passed away, and we are finally getting her house cleaned out and doing some slight renovations/updating so that Katie and Chuck can move in.  The house actually sat for a whole year without anything being done.  Her furniture and everything were left just as she had it.  To some degree, it was hard to do anything for the first several months (especially since her death came somewhat so suddenly).  She fell and fractured her hip in May 2009.  She recovered from that for the most part, but then in July we found out there was some internal bleeding in her leg (as a result of the hip complications).  She went into the hospital in July, and things just went downhill from there.  She stopped eating, started becoming confused and lost a lot of her energy.  Lab work kept coming back unusual….and in the end, the doctors suspected she might have developed some sort of bone cancer.  The hardest part was realizing she wasn’t going to get any better, and the only chance of her getting better was going through rounds of chemo and radiation, neither of which she was strong enough for (nor would have ever wanted to go through).  She loved her family dearly, and was the rock of the family, but the true love of her life was waiting for her in Heaven…yes, Christ, but also, my dear Granddaddy.  I wholeheartedly believe that although she loved her family and life here, ever since he died in 1996(?), she itched to be reunited with him again one day.

But, like I was saying. We didn’t do anything with the house for a year.  Then, one of my dearest and oldest friends was in need of a new place to live with her husband, little boy and baby girl on the way.  So, we quickly packed up the whole house, moved all the furniture to the basement and they lived there for about a year and a half.  Then this spring, my sister and brother-in-law decided they would move into the house when Chuck finished his last semester at Alabama.  So my friends moved out, and the past 2 months have been spent bringing all my grandparents stuff back upstairs and unpacking as much as possible so we could have a huge estate sale.  My mom did some major research on antiques and collectibles that my grandparents owned.  And there were SO MANY boxes of household items to unpack, organize, and price.  It took weeks to prep for the sale.  We ended up doing it for 2 days, Friday and Saturday, and I’m so glad it’s done now!  All the money from selling my grandparents items will go into an estate fund that will be used to do the updates and renovations on the home.  Some of the bigger projects include putting hardwoods in the kitchen and family room (which were carpet and linoleum), staining all the existing and new hardwoods throughout the house, laying tile in the foyer and bathrooms, and giving the kitchen cabinets a facelift with some fresh paint.  I’m really excited to see all these updates in the next few weeks.  It’s such a great house, and I’m so glad we are keeping it in the family.  I can’t imagine selling it to someone else to live in.  My granddaddy built the house in the 50’s, and they moved into it when my mom was a baby.  So, my mom and aunt grew up in that house, all us grandkids have celebrated MANY MANY holidays in that house, and there are so many wonderful memories within those walls.  I can’t wait to see what the future holds there!