Before I begin this post, I want to give a little shout-out to another blog I contribute to. It’s called The Wooden Spoon. There are 6 young ladies who contribute (myself included), and you’ll mostly find recipes, but there are also some crafts included. One of my favorites is a post I wrote on how to create personalized magnets. You can find that one here. Ok, on to the chicken cordon bleu…
I’ve made this recipe twice, and the first time it seemed really complicated, but this second time it was pretty quick and easy. I’d say it took about 15-20 mins prep time, and then it bakes for about 30 mins. And you really don’t have to bother with any measurements. I combined a few different recipes and tips to come up with this final version, so I’m sorry if it seems a bit disorganized. Here it is…
Oh, and before you begin, you’ll want to invest in one of these… (I tried using just a regular hammer the first time, and it didn’t work so well)
– 1 to 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (the first time I used a whole chicken breast for each one, and they were huge! This time I cut one breast in half, and they were definitely smaller, but when you add some side items to the meal it was enough to fill us up.)
– 1 egg white
– bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
– Mozzarella cheese, sliced
– ham, sliced
-1 Tablespoon butter
Ingredients for the cream sauce on top:
– 1/2 can cream of chicken soup
– approx. 1/ 8 cups sour cream
– 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Beat the chicken breast with a meat tenderizer to approx. 1/4 inch thickness.
3. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Dip chicken breasts in egg whites, and then sprinkle both sides with bread crumbs and paprika. Make sure to cover all surfaces of the chicken breast with bread crumbs.
4. Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and 1 slice of ham on each chicken breast.
5. Roll up the chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Place 1/2 tablespoon of butter on top of each breast.
6. Place in baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 25 mins.
7. Remove from oven and add about a 1/4 slice of cheese on top and return to oven for approx 5 mins until melted.
8. Serve with cream sauce on top.